Coast Guard News
7th District Public Affairs
U.S. Coast Guard
Date: July 10, 2012
Contact: 7th Coast Guard District
Office: (305) 415-6683
Coast Guard suspends search for missing Sarasota man
KEY WEST, Fla. -The Coast Guard suspended the search Tuesday evening for missing boater Arend Van Der Hoven.
Van Der Hoven, 50, of Sarasota, Fla., was reported missing Saturday.
The Coast Guard was notified Saturday by Blackfin Marina employees that Van Der Hoven left on his 23-foot center console boat from the marina around 8 a.m. and did not return at 2 p.m. as expected.
Sunday morning a Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater HC-130 Hercules aircraft crew located the boat with no sign of Van Der Hoven.
Searches were conducted by crews of:
- 87-foot Coast Guard patrol boat
- Coast Guard HC-130 Hercules aircraft
- Coast Guard HC-144 Ocean Sentry aircraft
- Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter
- Two Coast Guard Auxiliary aircraft
- Six Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission boats
- Three Coast Guard response boats
Search crews completed 24 search patterns covering 1,884 square miles over a 62 hour period.
Saving Lives and Guarding the Coast Since 1790.
The United States Coast Guard -- Proud History. Powerful Future.