PADET New York Public Affairs
November 01, 2012
U.S. Coast Guard
Contact: U.S.C.G. New York Public Information
Office: (718) 354-4270
Port opened to tug and barge traffic
NEW YORK – The Port of New York and New Jersey is open with the following guidelines and exceptions:
- The Port of New York is open to all tug and barge traffic carrying petroleum products.
- New York waterway ferries and taxi service are fully operational on the Hudson and East Rivers.
- Gravesend Bay anchorage south of the Verrazano Bridge as well as the anchorage north of the bridge is open and anchorage north of the bride is scheduled to be open later today.
- The Hudson River is open to all vessel traffic north of George Washington Bridge.
- The Kill Van Kull is open to light tugs.
More specific guidelines and exceptions on the status of the port are posted to New York Homeport.
As the port opens, agents are reminded to provide updates to the pilots and facilities to ensure the efficient entry of vessels.
Vessel operators are asked to provide information regarding weather conditions and location of debris fields to Vessel Traffic Service New York via channel 11 or 13.
Saving Lives and Guarding the Coast Since 1790.
The United States Coast Guard -- Proud History. Powerful Future.